[sane-devel] Help with USB scanner kernel config

thewade pdman@aproximation.org
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:24:29 -0700

Bertrik Sikken wrote:

> thewade wrote:
>
>> Hello most generous OpenSource developers!
>>
>> I am trying to get my old Acer Prisa USB scanner working with my
>> new AMD64 laptop running Fedora Core 2 and standard linux kernel
>> 2.6.10-lsm. I had the scanner working on my old Pentium 3 laptop
>> running Fedora Core 1 and standard kernel 2.6.4 but I configured
>> that kernel so long ago I cannot remember what I did kernel
>> options I used to get the scanner working. My
>> /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf is exactly the same and my u96v121.bin
>> is there too.
>

> Some time ago, sane used the scanner kernel module to communicate
> over USB with quite a lot of USB scanners. Nowadays, the scanner
> kernel module has been removed from the kernel and sane now uses
> libusb. Libusb in turn relies on the usbfs virtual file system
> in /proc/bus/usb.

ls /proc/bus/usb lists as empty with the scanner on.

/var/log/messages says:
Mar 15 13:14:40 musicbox kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2

lsusb -v doesnt seem to work, giving me nothing but:
Unknown line at line 4969
Where the number of the line changes, going up to 5004

dmesg | grep usb tells me (among other things):
usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new driver hub
usbcore: registered new driver hiddev
usbcore: registered new driver usbhid
drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.0:USB HID core driver

But on boot I remeber seeing usbdevfs not supported by kernel or
something. Could this be becasue the module isint loaded yet?
Sorry, I\'m kind of a linux looser.

> So your kernel needs to have usbfs configured in and usbfs needs
> to be mounted (e.g. in a boot script).
> If lsusb can see your scanner, then usbfs is probably OK.
> If sane-find-scanner can see your scanner then libusb is probably
> set up OK too.

See above for lsusb -v.
sane-find-scanner doesnt find the scanner.

Thanks for the help so far! What can I try next?
Could it be a hotplug misconfiguration of some sort?
-thewade