[sane-devel] Genius ColorPage Vivid 3 - annoying issue

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard@gjaeger.de
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:08:48 +0100

On Monday 14 March 2005 11:19, Joao Dias wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am posting to this list because of a minor problem with my scanner I would
> like
> somebody to help me with.
>
> I have a Genius ColorPage Vivid III scanner.
>
> Now that finally I got it working under linux (and out of the box with
> Fedora Core 3)
> it remains with an annoying problem for other users in my family (and that
> makes
> me feel guilty, cause I switched WindowsXP for Linux, and told them that all
> would be
> perfect ;).

Great idea :)))))))))

> I am able to scan with very good quality, but sometimes the scan is
> performed
> a bit slower than usual and the result is a corrupted image either full off
> horizontal lines of several colors all mixed, or a kind of greenish +-1cm
> height bar at the top.
>
> This happens randomly when scanning. Sometimes happens sometimes not.
> It seems nearly alternating (nice/corrupted/nice/corrupted) but that is not
> always true. Its very rare that I can scan twice with success, without
> repeating
> at least one time.
>
> Is this a bug in the backend driver ?
> I thought it could have something to do with warmup time and I managed
> a bit with that and lamp on/off times but concluded nothing, or has nothing
> to do with that.

Hmmm, hard to say. I only have a OpticPro U12 for testing and have no
problems so far - but it might be related to some timing issues.

> I noticed too that xsane tells me I have an HR6 model but I actually
> have what claims to be ColorPage Vivid III in the scanner lid...
> anyway I guess that's what lsusb says that matters...

This has nothing to do with XSANE, the backend always will tell you, that you
have a HR6, as this usb-id is tied to this device - in the end it is simply a
naming thing.

> Also if I open and quit xsane two or three times, it seems the usb subsytem
> uhci_hcd module gets corrupted in scanner communications and I have to
> reload it.
> (but that is not a problem because I always load xsane at session start to
> get
> the lamp off, and then let it stay there - and told others to do the same)
>
> If more information is needed to help getting around the corruption issue,
> please explain me how to obtain it, also if there is
> something I can do by myself while properly guided...

Hmmmm, could you please enable the debug messages and do two scans:

export SANE_DEBUG_UT12=20 ; xsane

Hopefully the second scan fails. Then send me this output.

--
Gerhard