[sane-devel] local user using scanner

Sun, 15 May 2005 10:38:44 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 07:52:11PM -0400, Terry D. Boldt wrote:
> Read that already. In searching to solve the problem, I found that several
> days back. Unfortunately it does nothing to solve the problem. The README
> simply says that the files "libsane.usermap" and "libusbscanner" should be
> in /etc/hotplug/usb and they are. But they do nothing to elicudate the
> problem or solve the problem. The README further reads that the solution to
> the problem is simply to add the user(s) to the "scanner" group.

I think Tim already pointed you to the solution of your problem. But
still:

libusbscanner sets the permissions of the respective /proc/bus/usb...
file to group write/readable by the scanner group. So if you are in
group scanner, you should be able to access the scanner.

Possible reasons for not working:
- No hotplug support in kernel
- scanner not listed in libsane.usermap
- someone has changed libusbscanner