[sane-devel] libusb - problems with open/close of device in backend?

m. allan noah anoah@pfeiffer.edu
Mon, 23 May 2005 14:52:27 -0400 (EDT)

steven, i see this exact problem with certain fujitsu scanners. the
difficulty is that USB uses a 0/1 toggling bit during the data transmit
phase. when libusb closes the device, the device should reset the toggle
back to 0, the kernel does. subsequent transmissions should start with
toggle set to 0, but if device thinks it should be 1, then device ignores
packets. windows never closes the device (the driver loads at bootup) so
the fujitsu engineers had no idea what i was talking about (though i note
that later usb2.0 fujitsu scanners do not have this problem)

you have three options that i see:

1. count the number of data packets you
are sending to scanner, and always send an even number. remember that just
cause you sent or read 16 k of data, does not matter, it was busted up by
lower layers. you need this larger number of smaller packets.

2. get kernel/libusb to keep current toggle instead of trashing it.

3. call usb_reset(device) as the very last step before you exit. this will
cause the device to re-enumerate, and reset all of its internal data.
while ugly, this works for me everytime. there are other functions like
usb_clearhalt and usb_resetep, but those dont seem to fix my problem.

my advice? write a little prog that uses libusb directly, and try to do
simple things outside the confines of sane.

allan