[sane-devel] GL660+GL646 (genesys/genesys-new) on CanoScan3000(F)?

Sun, 29 May 2005 11:45:13 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 12:57:20AM +0300, amth@suomi24.fi wrote:
> After a while looking into QS Scan08/09/11/113 vs. GL6xx/GL84x chipsets,
> it seems that CanoScan 3000/3000F/5000F have GL-chipsets as the packages
> found on the actual 3000F hardware suggests LQFP128(GL646) + TQFP48(GL660)
> -combo that is not used on any of the QS/Scan-chipsets (I bet no-one is
> interested to repackage chips on scanners).

Looks like you are right. I'll add comments on the respective scanner
pages.

> The only thing that needs to be changes to see that it actually is GL660+GL646
> is to take away only the very last of the tests (tools/check-usb-chip.c
> "if (val != 0x15)... reg 0x4e != reg 0x38"-test) after that other tests
> seem to pass just fine and 'sane-find scanner -v -v' reports:

However, that means that the test for setting and reading a register
fails. That means that it doesn't behave like a gl646. At least
according to my docs, a value written to register 0x38 should be
readable in register 0x4e.

Could you try to modify the test so it works like the gl841 test? Just
exchange the 0x4e by 0x38. So it reads from the same register to which
it has also written.

Concerning the Canon 5000, on first glance the output of sane-find-scanner on our
website seems to indicate that it's not a gl646+gl660 combination:
"this is not a GL660+GL646 (bEndpointAddress = 0x81, bmAttributes =
0x2, wMaxPacketSize = 0x200, bInterval = 0x0)"
However, this was done with an old sane-find-scanner version which
didn't check for USB2 (packet size = 0x200 instead of 0x40).
So with current sane-find-scanner versions the output would be
identical to that of the canon 3000.

> And if you look at <http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/canon-5000f.html>,
> <http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/umax-astra-4700.html> that are
> based on exactly similar chipsets and <http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/umax-astra-4500.html>
> that only differs mildly, at least those should be workable with genesys/genesys-new.

The UMAX Astra 4500 uses only a GL646 (no GL660) and was used for
developping the base for the genesys backend. At the moment it does
not work but I hope that can be fixed later.