[sane-devel] USB scanner fails to connect

Bertrik Sikken bertrik@zonnet.nl
Mon, 30 May 2005 23:32:21 +0200

Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get my UMAX Astra 2200 USB scannner to work with my Mandrake
> Linux 10.1 (kernel 2.6.8.1) box, and am failing miserably. The scanner works
> fine (both USB and SCSI) under 'doze.
>
> I think I've got SANE installed correctly, but I'm not even getting a
> /dev/usbscanner entry. When replugging the scanner, dmesg shows:

The /dev/usbscanner entry no longer exists with kernel 2.6
The linux 2.6 solution is that sane uses libusb to access USB devices
(through the usbfs files in /proc/bus/usb)

> ohci_hcd 0000:00:0f.2: wakeup
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 2
> usb 1-1: control timeout on ep0in
> usb 1-1: device descriptor read/all, error -110
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 3
> usb 1-1: control timeout on ep0in
> usb 1-1: device descriptor read/all, error -110
>
> Following power cycles result in the same message , but with steadily
> incrementing USB addresses.

This seems to be some kind of error on the USB level before sane
even has a chance of connecting to the scanner.

I know that there was an issue somewhere around linux 2.6.7/2.6.8,
where strictness of the kernel w.r.t. USB standard caused problems
with some USB devices. In later kernels this was relaxed a bit which
made those (basically faulty) devices work again.
One example of this is the USB string descriptors that did not work
for the hewlett-packard HP4300c.

> sane-troubleshoot tries hard, but in the end gives up. sane-find-scanner
> simply reports no scanner found.
>
>>From perusing this lists archives, there is some suggestion that this may be
> a kernel problem. If so, can anyone direct me to a better source to resolve
> this? If not, can anyone please help me resolve the problem?

I think the first thing to try is to update the kernel.

Kind regards,
Bertrik