[sane-devel] Install problem with fi-4120C2 under FreeBSD and OS X 10.4.2

Darrell Styner darrell at avanta.com
Wed Nov 2 05:26:47 UTC 2005

On Nov 1, 2005, at 7:06 PM, m. allan noah wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Darrell Styner wrote:
>

>> That made it work. I'm now able to scan both single pages and in
>> batch mode using scanimage. A remaining problem is that scanimage -
>> L seems to take a long time (about 30 secs.) to return the name of
>> my device. Is that normal? I wouldn't care but I think it's
>> causing lots of delays in xsane. Xsane has other problems with the
>> scanner as well (can't acquire a preview, frequent timeouts, etc.)
>> but I'll wait to document those until I'm sure everything's
>> working from scanimage.
>>

> 1. no thats not normal, but it may be caused by lamp warm-up or
> some such. need more debug log info of what is going on during that
> pause.

I don't think it's warm-up. The scanner's always ready to go right
away under Windows and the delay is the same when you run one
scanimage right after another. I'll send you a debug log soon.

> 2. of course it cant get a preview its an adf only scanner, and it
> cant back up.

Oh, I guess that makes sense.

> 3. xsane may have its own timers, and the backend my freeze too
> long, i dont know.
>

>> BTW, "make" didn't recognize the change to fujitsu.c so I had to
>> do a "make clean" to get it to recompile the backend. Is there an
>> easier way to get make to recompile just the one changed file and
>> rebuild the lib?
>>

> henning just yesterday committed a patch to cvs to use makedepend.
> it should do this.

I'll give it a try.

>> Thanks for the help,
>>

> its not a good long-term fix, so be prepared to test something more
> permanent later...

I'll be happy to test anything as long as it's in the next 29 days.
After that I may lose access to the scanner.
Am I losing any features by having that line commented out?

Thanks again.