[sane-devel] Experiences with AGFA Snapscan 1212U?

Ron Hunter-Duvar ronhd at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Nov 3 20:04:57 UTC 2005

On November 3, 2005 10:12, Klaus-Peter Schrage wrote:
> Ron Hunter-Duvar schrieb:
> > I have a chance to pick up a used AGFA Snapscan 1212U from a friend (he
> > moved to XP and it's not supported, and gives dire warnings against
> > trying).
> >
> > I see that the support on both the current stable version and the dev
> > version is marked as "good". Is there any important features known to be
> > missing that stop it from being marked "complete"? Or is it just because
> > "complete" is hard to achieve/prove (I saw the recent thread on the
> > definitions of "good" and "complete")?
> >
> > Any particular positive or negatives experiences?
>
> I've been using mine for many years now without problems under
> linux/sane and XP - it's well supported there if you have the proper
> driver, which is still available although AGFA has discontinued support
> for their scanners:
> http://www.agfa.com/digicam_scanner_drivers/scanner/snapscan_1212u/index.ht
>ml

According to my friend, it was supported on an earlier release of XP, but when
he got a new computer with the latest XP, it gives him some warning to the
effect of "installing this driver may destroy your entire system". Whether it
actually works, he's not willing to take the chance.

> You'll really need the firmware file, even under linux, which has to be
> loaded into the scanner's volatile memory every time it is switched on.
> So, if you don't have that, I can send it to you off list.
>
> Klaus

Thanks, if I do get it, I'll see if I can get the firmware. I can install it
on my Win98 partition if necessary.

Any idea what this scanner would be worth used? I haven't seen it yet, but he
takes good care of his stuff, so I'd expect it to be in good shape.

--
Ron
ronhd at users dot sourceforge dot net

Opinions expressed here are all mine.