[sane-devel] Experiences with AGFA Snapscan 1212U?

Ron Hunter-Duvar ronhd at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Nov 6 03:40:38 UTC 2005

On November 5, 2005 20:27, Ron Hunter-Duvar wrote:
> On November 3, 2005 10:12, Klaus-Peter Schrage wrote:
> > You'll really need the firmware file, even under linux, which has to be
> > loaded into the scanner's volatile memory every time it is switched on.
> > So, if you don't have that, I can send it to you off list.
> >
> > Klaus
>
> On the install cd there's a Setup/layout.bin file. Is that the firmware
> file? If not, can you tell me the name? I have the install cd, and I have
> it installed and working on my win98 partition, but I don't know for sure
> which file is the firmware file.

Never mind, I answered my own question. That is the firmware file.

"sane-find-scanner" was finding the scanner, but "scanimage -L" was not. When
I pointed the snapscan.conf at that file, "scanimage -L" found the scanner,
and I was able to scan my first image. Sweet! One less thing I have to endure
the agony of win98 for.

Just one more question: is there a "standard" directory to put a firmware file
like this? Or do I just park it anywhere I feel like it (I know this will
work, just wondering if there's some convention to follow)?

Thanks for the advice, especially the tip about the firmware.

--
Ron
ronhd at users dot sourceforge dot net

Opinions expressed here are all mine.