[sane-devel] Iscan + Debian

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Nov 8 00:52:47 UTC 2005

Levente Novák <lnovak at dragon.unideb.hu> writes:

> What is the normal procedure to set-up the latest Iscan with Debian? I
> did so far:
>
> - download the tar.gz
> - unzip, detar, configure and compile
> - make install
> - copy epkowa.desc into the dll directory
> - modify dll.conf to include epkowa
>
> I noticed files intended for hotplug in the source tree. Where should I
> put them (under /etc/hotplug/usb or under /etc/hotplug.d/usb?). I have
> both directories present (I don't know why), and apparently sane is only
> under /etc/hotplug.d but all the other scripts under /etc/hotplug.

I'd put them with the sane-backends stuff.

> Olaf, I saw in one of your former posts you are using Debian. Where did
> you put your config and hotplug files?

Under /etc/hotplug/usb/.

I'm running testing and with the latest udev upgrade hotplug got
purged so now the normal iscan hotplug support is useless.  I'm back
to manually changing the group and permissions on the device for the
time being.  This is a PITA, so I will be looking into udev support,
as soon as I get some time that is.

> Also, when playing around with Iscan, I succeeded to make it work but
> only as root and -- strangely enough -- only when being
> under /etc/sane.d when launching the program. It did not work elsewhere
> and as a simple user.

The hotplug stuff should make things work for normal users as well.
You should make sure that the epkowa backend is installed in the same
location as the other sane-backends.  Most likely, you can fix things
by reconfiguring with "--prefix=/usr", followed by a `make clean all`
and `make install`.
# You may want to do a `make uninstall` before you reconfigure to get
# rid of the currently installed stuff.

> Levente
>
> PS: Is 16bit support planned for Epson PF 3490 with the epkowa backend?

Nope.
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, LAN
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/