[sane-devel] Snapscan + Epson PF 3490

Levente Novák lnovak at dragon.unideb.hu
Wed Nov 9 07:09:38 UTC 2005

I own an Epson Perfection 3490 and I am beginning to use it with the CVS
version of SANE (snapscan backend). While it seems to work well at
resolutions up to 1200 dpi (but I did not yet perform really thorough
testing), I noticed a kind of interlacing behaviour when scanning
negatives/diapositives with the TPU at 3200 dpi. The scanlines are
periodically offset from each other. Maybe it is alsoi present for the
flatbed part, but I don't have such high resolution reflective stuff to
test it out.

I would like to help the snapscand backend maintainer to fix the
problem, as I would like to scan slides and negatives besides the usual
flatbed content. What is needed in order to help as much as possible? I
am thinking about scanning e.g. a small area with different resolutions
and bit depths, then visually compare the results. But what should I do
with these test images and the backend logs? I don't want to post binary
data directly to the list for bandwidth reasons. Should I use the bug
page at alioth?

Levente