[sane-devel] multiple scanners running constantly ?

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sun Nov 13 14:24:39 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 02:51:45PM -0500, David Mason wrote:
> I am working on a project with an artist involving five scanners that
> will all be running continuously. They are a range of consumer grade USB
> scanners, eg, Canon FiDE 25, Epson, AGFA, etc.
>
> I've got the basics going, but we won't have much of a chance to test
> this out, so I'm hoping to get any advice re: long term running of
> multiple scanners under SANE. Is this something that can be expected to
> work long term, or should I pace things in a particular way?

In principle, SANE does not limit the total number of scanners or the
number of scanners scanning simultaneously.

However, last time I checked there was a problem in the linux kernel
(or libusb) that caused trouble whith multiple USB scanners scanning
at the same time:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?group_id=30186&atid=410366&func=detail&aid=300759

I didn't check if it still happens with current kernels.

With SCSI scanners, I was able to scan simultanouesly with 6 devices
with no problems. It was a bit slow, however.

> I'm doing the bulk of the work this weekend, so any advice would be
> sincerely appreciated.

So it's too late now, Iguess :-( I guess it's useful to split the
devices to different USB busses.