[sane-devel] Canoscan LiDE 25 detected by find-scanner, not scanimage

Chris sane at geekpages.co.uk
Mon Nov 28 15:35:33 UTC 2005

Hi,

Success!  Thank you very much all of you for your help.

Henning, your comment about having two copies installed got me
thinking.  I know I didn't have two scanimage programs but I decided
to read more about 'make' to check I was doing things right.  I read
somewhere that doing 'sudo make install' over an existing install
doesn't replace the files.  Since the very first time I installed I
didn't have libusb-dev installed, that was probably the problem.

Typing 'find /usr /etc -name dll.conf -print' also confused me because
I had two configuration directories for the single program install.
Reading the output of configure more carefully made me notice the
warning about the settings dir defaulting to /usr/etc instead of /etc.

So, I uninstalled everything sane from the computer.  Downloaded a
fresh copy of nightly cvs goodness then used:

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
make
sudo make install

And it worked! Thanks again, I look forward to the 1.0.17 release.

Chris