[sane-devel] HP Offijet 5110

Guido Milanese guido.milanese at unicatt.it
Sat Oct 1 20:22:18 UTC 2005

I recently bought a HP officejet 5110: it works very well as USB printer, but
I do not know how to configure it as scanner. I posted a message in another
list (linuxprinting.hp) but I thinks it was not the best place, so I'm
repeating the question here.

Typing sane-find-scanner from shell or using GUI provided by my Linux
distribution (Mandriva LE 2005: kernel 2-6-11) does not change the final
result: the scanner is not seen by the OS. The answer of sane-find-scanner
is:

  # No SCSI scanners found.[etc]
  # No USB scanners found. [etc]

scanimage -L outputs: "No scanners were identified." etc.

The driver used by CUPS is hplip. There is also hpoj, that I understand that
must be used for scanning. I the list below correct?

/usr/lib/sane/libsane-hpoj.so
/usr/lib/sane/libsane-hpoj.so.1
/usr/lib/sane/libsane-hpoj.so.1.0
/usr/lib/libhpojip.so.0
/usr/lib/libhpojip.so.0.1
/usr/lib/libsane-hpoj.so
/usr/lib/libsane-hpoj.so.1
/usr/lib/libsane-hpoj.so.1.0

I also found, googling for a while, that there must be libusb: in my system I
found:

/usr/bin/libusb-config
/usr/lib/libusb.la
/usr/lib/libusb.so
/lib/libusb-0.1.so.4
/lib/libusb-0.1.so.4.4.0
/lib/libusb.la

I thank your for any help. What I would like to find is a good tutorial or a
howto.

thanks!

--
Guido Milanese
Vocal Ensemble Ars Antiqua, Genova (Genoa), Italy