[sane-devel] Weird snapscan firmware behaviour (bug?)

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz at gmx.de
Sun Oct 2 11:19:17 UTC 2005

Hi,

the behaviour you describe is perfectly normal, as far as the ID of
the scanner is concerned. Initially the scanner identifies itself as
FlatbedScanner_13. After downloading the firmware (which seems to
work only in windows in your case) the scanner identifies itself as
FlatbedScanner_21.

However, the scanner should work in Linux without having to download
the firmware in Windows first.

> 3) I then configured /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf as follows:
> ---
> firmware /etc/u176v046.bin
> /dev/usb/scanner0 bus=usb
> ---

You only need the first line. You should remove the second line, since
the scanner is probably accessed via libusb anyway.

> 1) The scanner is detected as an 'Acer FlatbedScanner_13'. This is
> a problem, because it does not work unless it is detected as an
> 'Acer FlatbedScanner_21'. After this point I can try whatever I
> want, the scanner is never detected as an 'Acer FlatbedScanner_21'
> again, only as an 'Acer FlatbedScanner_13'. In short, when the
> scanner is detected as an 'Acer FlatbedScanner_13', it never works.
> If it is detected as an 'Acer FlatbedScanner_21', it always works.

As I pointed out above that's ok, as long as the firmware is not
downloaded. Once you start a frontend like xsane or kooka the
firmware should be downloaded automatically. Does "scanimage -L"
detect the scanner before firmware download? If no, please provide a
debug log
(SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=50 scanimage -L 2>debug.log).

If xsane or kooka doesn't detect the scanner there's most likely a
problem with your firmware file. Note that there are two versions of
the 3300 which use different firmware files. Depending on the USB ID
you have to use either u176v... or u222v... as firmware file. See the
scanner list on http://snapscan.sf.net.

If all else fails send me the debug log of the xsane/kooka session
(SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=50 kooka 2>debug.log)

/Oliver