[sane-devel] Re: Canon LiDE 25 and Oct 2nd snapshot

Luke Kendall lukekendall at optushome.com.au
Mon Oct 3 11:55:37 UTC 2005

On  3 Oct,  Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
>  Hi,

[...]

> > After I'd made install in sane-backend then sane-frontend (and moved
> > aside the older versions and re-ren ldconfig), I did a "modprobe
> > scanner"
>
> Why? You just installed libusb so you NOT want the scanner module!

Okay, sorry.  I'm a complete novice when it comes to libusb.

>  > then "mount -t usbdevfs none /proc/bus/usb".  Then sane-find-scanner
>  > reported the scanner:
>
>  > ....
>  > found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x2220 [CanoScan], chip=LM9832/3) at libusb:001:003
>  > ....
>  >
>  > But scanimage -L didn't find it (as root).  I'll confess this is on a
>  > very old system (RH 7.2, running kernel 2.4.28).
>
>  Maybe because it's blocked by the scanner module. Try without (rmmod
>  scanner).

Thanks.  I just now tried that (checking that the scanner module was
gone), and tried again.  No difference.

>  If that doesn't help, send a log file (export SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=255;
>  scanimage -L).

Thanks:
    # lsmod
    sr_mod                 15256   0  (autoclean)
    cdrom                  34016   0  (autoclean) [sr_mod]
    sg                     35332   0  (autoclean)
    8139too                16928   1
    ne2k-pci                6176   0  (unused)
    ide-scsi               11584   0
    nls_iso8859-1           3520   2  (autoclean)
    nls_cp437               5152   2  (autoclean)
    #  mount
    none on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)

    # export SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=255
    # scanimage -L
    [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of plustek to 255.
    [plustek] sane_init: sane-backends 1.0.5
    [plustek] sane_init, ># Plustek-SANE Backend configuration file<
    [plustek] sane_init, >#<
    [plustek] sane_init, ># for multiple devices use<
    [plustek] sane_init, ># /dev/pt_drv0<
    [plustek] sane_init, ># /dev/pt_drv1<
    [plustek] sane_init, ># /dev/pt_drv2<
    [plustek] sane_init, >#<
    [plustek] sane_init, ><
    [plustek] sane_init, >/dev/pt_drv<
    [plustek] sane_init, >/dev/pt_drv<
    [plustek] attach_one: >/dev/pt_drv<
    [plustek] attach (/dev/pt_drv, (nil))
    [plustek] drvopen()
    [plustek] open: can't open /dev/pt_drv as a device
    [plustek] sane_get_devices (0xbfffe698, 0)

    [plustek] sane_exit

    # ls -l /dev/pt_drv
    ls: /dev/pt_drv: No such file or directory
    # locate pt_drv
    #

What is pt_drv?  How should I create that?  A Google search made me
wonder if it's a kernel module that's necessary.  I don't have it.
(I'm running 2.4.28)

A google search turned up this comment about sane-plustek:

       As mentioned before, the plustek_pp backend code can also  be  compiled
       and  installed  as  linux  kernel  module.  To do so, you will need the
       source-files of this sane-backend installation.  Unpack  this  tar-ball
       and go to the directory:
       sane-backends/doc/plustek
       Within this directory, you should find a script called:
       MakeModule.sh
       Now  if  your Linux kernelsources are installed correctly, it should be
       possible to build, install and load the module  pt_drv.   Please  note,
       that  the kernelsources need to be configured correctly.  Refer to your
       distributions manual on how this is done. As root user, try
       ./MakeModule.sh
       the script will try and get all necessary information about  your  run-
       ning kernel and will lead you through the whole installation process.
       Note: Installing and loading the can only be done as superuser.

Do I need a parallel port driver to access the USB scanner?!

Apologies if these are dumb questions.

> As Gerhard already mentioned:
> "NOTE: before compiling, always do a touch backend/plustek.c to make sure
>       the backend gets compiled..."
>
> > So I think I'm a bit out of my depth now, since I don't understand how
> > plustek-usbdevs.c gets compiled (it only appears in the DISTFILES list).
>
> It's #included in the backend file.

Oh.  Shouldn't these dependencies appear in the backend/Makefile along
with the others?

Thanks for your help so far (and Gerhard's too)!

luke