[sane-devel] Telling sane to use usb under kernel 2.6.12

Daniel Franke franke.daniel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 15:27:27 UTC 2005

On Monday 03 October 2005 17:19, Anastas Giokov wrote:
> In README.linux, there is the following advice:
>
> "Gentoo users: If your USB scanner is not detected at all check that
> USE=usb is set when emerging."
>
> I'm using Debian sid and trying to compile sane-backends from source,
> but after successfull compilation and installation, I could not detect
> the scanner at all. I suspect that the above applies to my problem,
> but I could not figure out where/when to set USE=usb?

AFAIK, this IS gentoo only. Gentoo employs a USE-variable to determine which
features/applications to add to the distro or to compile into applications.
Most likely this won't apply for debian. More info on USE at:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=2

Regards
	Daniel - Happy Gentoo User