[sane-devel] Epson 3590

Ulrich Deiters ulrich.deiters at uni-koeln.de
Tue Oct 4 21:56:01 UTC 2005

Here are the latest results for my 3590:

As Bouke Jan wrote, the firmware files are the same; I did
a diff on a hexdump and could not find any difference.

I tried more resolutions. The results are funny:
- 200 dpi is OK
- 150 dpi works, too
- 100 dpi works, but the scanned area was displaced in y direction
-  75 dpi works, but scans a larger y distance than expected
-  50 dpi is OK,
- values under 50 are rounded to 50

It seems that the y controls enjoy some intellectual freedom
with this scanner.

About the preview bit: the old code was

    source = 0x00;
    if (pss->preview) {
        source |= 0x80;	/* no high quality in preview */
    }
    else {
	source |= 0x40;	/* no preview */
    }

The new version is

    source = 0x40;	/* always set no-preview bit */
    if (pss->preview)
        source |= 0x80;	/* no high quality in preview */

The film scanning unit needs more work. If I set the "transparency
mode" in xsane, the film scanner lamp turn on, but subsequent
scans move the flatbed unit, not the film unit.

Best regards,

Ulrich