[sane-devel] Network scanning through Vmware from Windows guest to Linux host

Klaus-Peter Schrage kpschrage at gmx.de
Wed Oct 5 17:03:52 UTC 2005

... is it possible?

My setup:
- VMware Workstation 4.5.2 build-8848
- Host system: Fedora Core 4 with kernel 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4
- Guest system: Windows XP with SP2
- Scanner: AGFA Snapscan 1212U_2, running nicely with sane backend
version 1.0.15

I got saned running on the linux host, following the instructions in
http://penguin-breeder.org/sane/saned/
On the windows guest, I installed SaneTwain as well as xsane-win32.
But neither xsane nor scanimage seem to be able to establish a
connection to the host ("Error establishing connection to host").

Networking between guest and host seems to be ok, e. g. I established
network printing through CUPS on the two printers attached to the linux
host.

Are there any pointers? Any logs or debugging output to look for?

Thanks,
Klaus