[sane-devel] User permissions

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sat Oct 8 08:53:41 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 03:34:01PM -0600, Michael Irons wrote:
> I am trying to set up a HP Scanjet 2200c on gentoo (kernel 2.6.12-gentoo-r9)

This kernel doesn't have the kernel scanner driver anymore. So libusb
is used.

> I have been all over the web for two days and have tried to follow many how
> tos, but with no luck.

README.linux points to hotplug. See also man sane-usb. Have you
checked that hotplug is setup correctly?

> sane-find-scanner -v:
> ...scsi stuff...
> searching for USB scanners:
> checking /dev/usb/scanner... failed to open (Invalid argument)

This would be the device for the kernel scanner module. As it doesn't
exist anymore, you can ignore these lines.

> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x0605 [HP ScanJet
> 2200C], chip=LM9832/3) at libusb:001:005

The device files usually are here: /proc/bus/usb/001/005
This file must have the correct permissions.

> scanimage -L (as user)
> doesn't find anything

Also check that there is no problem with locking. Enable debugging and
check the messages as user:
SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=255 scanimage -L

> I added to /etc/udev/10-udev.rules
> # scanner devices
> scanner:root:scanner:0660
> usb/scanner*:root:scanner:0660

I don't know these udev rules, but if you want to use them, they must
be for the generic usb devices /proc/bus/usb/... (or wherever they are
placed with udev).