[sane-devel] [SOLVED] Network scanning through Vmware

Klaus-Peter Schrage kpschrage at gmx.de
Sat Oct 8 09:12:32 UTC 2005

Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 06:40:18PM +0200, Klaus-Peter Schrage wrote:
>
>>My only problem left: Setting up permissions on the device file
>>/proc/bus/usb/00x/00y for my scanner; up to now, it's set up by hotplug
>>only for my user, but not for saned, so that I have to fix that manually
>>... but there should be a solution to that.
>

> Let hotplug change the group of the device to e.g. "scanner", maxe the
> device rw by the group and add your user and saned to group scanner.

I don't no much about the hotplug voodo (pam_console ...), but adding
two lines to the 'add' branch of /etc/hotplug/usb/libusbscanner finally
did the trick
     chgrp saned ${DEVICE}
     chmod g+rw ${DEVICE}
where 'saned' is a group that I had created before when configuring the
SANE network daemon.
Thanks again,
Klaus