[sane-devel] TWAIN 2.0 targetting Linux

Philipp Schmid philipp8288 at web.de
Tue Oct 11 20:51:29 UTC 2005

Brian J Densmore schrieb:

>Maybe it's time
>

>someone works on making TWAIN applications for Linux?

Hello,

I think SANE is currently a very powerful API with the big advantage that all
frontends (and linux scanner applications) are able to work with all (linux)backends.
If we have some backends or drivers that only work with TWAIN applications we loose this
big advantage of the SANE API on the linux platform.

So I think the only reasonable thing we could do is to devel one general SANE backend that
is able to work with all TWAIN-drivers. But I'm not a man of TWAIN and I can't say if
this is theoretical possible and how much time would be necessary to devel such a backend.

I see that a lot of problems about TWAIN have been written down in this list and so I think
this could only be a temporary solution until a SANE backend is develed for the currently
unsupported scanners.

philipp