[sane-devel] Re: iscan-1.17.0

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sun Oct 16 15:20:53 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 04:05:01PM +0100, Jim MacLeod wrote:
> Compiled your sane-backend-25-10-11 (first time I've compiled anything) and
> scanimage works ok. I scanned a page (without setting any parameters), but
> I really want to get the transparency unit working.
> Xsane or Kooka (kde) both fail with"no device found" and nowhere obvious to
> change configuration so I'm stuck with no gui at the moment.

If scanimage works and the gui frontends don't, the usual cause is
that you have two installations of sane-backend on your system. One is
the one you compiled yourself (in /usr/local/...). This one is used by
scanimage, which came with sane-backends. The other one is the one
that came with your distribution (in /usr/...). This is used by the
graphical frontends. Either only install sane-backends once, or use a
trick like this:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/libsane.so xsane

> Downloaded source.tar for iscan-1.17 but it fails at configure stage
> advising 'imlibgdk and gtk-config not found'. I haven't been able to find
> them either in Kubuntu repositories, particularly imlibgdk.

The latter one should be part of gtk-devel or libgtk-dev or similar.