[sane-devel] offtopic 35-mm scanner question

breacher breacher at telenet.be
Wed Oct 19 23:55:53 UTC 2005

i'm afraid the epson perfection 2400 is out of the loop at 2400 dpi. see you
can scan films or slides at 1200 dpi without problem, as you zoom you will
get squares at the resolution's limit. but at 2400 dpi, that scanner suffers
a signal on noise rate loss and the picture is very noisy. it's almost as
there was a herse in the way and that you could see it on the picture.

however for non-professional applications 600 or 1200 dpi will suffice. if you
scan a film at 600 dpi you usually get a picture 700 or 800 pixels wide.

also with xsane there is a very harsh setup procedure to get the scanner to
work, i've got the bookmark somewhere, drop me an email if you need it i'll
send it to you. you gotta extract the ware file off the cd with a cryptic
archive command line and set up you the config file using it. it won't work
out of the box with xsane.