[sane-devel] Twain Sane w/ Net backend and OS X problem

Mattias Ellert mattias.ellert at tsl.uu.se
Tue Oct 25 15:39:08 UTC 2005

23 okt 2005 kl. 16.50 skrev Brian Rose:

> Hi all,
> I have got my scanner working on a Linux server and via the net
> backend using scanimage
> from the command line on the server and from OS X. However, the
> Twain Sane interface
> doesn't work. I say on http://www.ellert.se/twain-sane/faq.html
> that I need to edit an Info.plist
> file. On OS X, in the directory /System/Library/Image Capture/TWAIN
> Data Sources, there
> no files. My question is can I copy a TWAIN DS bundle from
> somewhere or download one?
> Do I just need to create the directory structure and add a bogus
> idvendor and idproduct to
> the Info.plist or will I need to create some code? It is not clear
> to me from the various
> docs if I am missing files, or what. Can someone point me in the
> right direction?
>
> I have installed the OS X packages from ellert.se's site and I am
> running Tiger. If more info
> is needed I can gladly retrieve it.
>
> Sincerely,
> Brian

/System/Library/Image Capture/TWAIN Data Sources is the old location
for TWAIN data sources. It is still in the search path of the system
for backward compatibility, but the preferred location is /Library/
Image Capture/TWAIN Data Sources. If you have installed the TWAIN
SANE Interface this is where you should look for it.

The vendor and product IDs in the Info.plist file are only important
if you are using Image Capture (or any other program that uses the
TWAINBridge application to interface to the scanner). Programs that
use TWAIN directly works anyway. This is the end of my Info.plist
file where I have added the USB IDs for my mouse to trick the
TWAINBridge application that there is a scanner attached, since it
doesn't detect my SCSI scanner.

Mattias-Ellerts-dator:~ ellert$ tail -20 "/Library/Image Capture/
TWAIN Data Sources/SANE.ds/Contents/Info.plist"
                         <dict>
                                 <key>device type</key>
                                 <string>scanner</string>
                                 <key>product</key>