[sane-devel] SuSE 9.3, HP PSC 1510 won't scan?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Oct 31 13:10:18 UTC 2005

Hello,

On Oct 29 15:26 Franz Brandner wrote (shortened):
> Priniting works perfectly with HP's PSC 1510 using HPLIP and HPLIP-HPIJS after
> I got the appropriate PPD, but it won't scan. Trying to install the device as
> a scanner with YaST it is listed as "USB scanner, vendor HP, PSC 1500
> series", as there is no entry for it then in the list of known devices I
> selected "HP - Most Multifunction devices, driver HPAIO" (as recommended),
> result: the driver is running, but there is no active scanner. With HPOJ  and
> the driver for the PSC 1300 series (similar model, HP said) the result was
> the same. The command "sane-find-scanner" also tells me that it should work,
> "sanimage -L" finds nothing. I ran all these commands as ordinary user and
> root as well. "/sbin/lsusb" lists it as "Bus 001 Device 004: ID ...

Make sure the hplip service is up and running, see
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2005/03/jsmeix_scanner-setup-93.html

Use
rchplip status
which should report at least
hpiod (pid 1234) is running...
hpssd (pid 5678) is running...
To get the last 40 (error)-messages from the hplip service, use
egrep -i 'hplip|hpiod|hpssd' /var/log/messages | tail -n40

For debugging, see
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/10/jsmeix_scanner-setup-92.html
"Trouble-Shooting (Debugging)"

Kind Regards