[sane-devel] Avision (HP5370) shifting image problem

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Mon Sep 5 18:45:44 UTC 2005

René Rebe wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Falk Rohsiepe did some excellent work to get the devices affected by some
>strange off-by-one error delivering shifted images to work.
>
>I still need to review it closely and merge / test with the devices I have
>access too.
>
>Please find his patch attached for review / testing.

I am reporting major success with the patch you supplied.  Thank you
very much.  As recently as sane-backends-1.0.16 with the avision source
of build 280, I had never been able to get my 5370C working correctly.
I applied your patch against sane-backends-1.0.16--it wouldn't apply
properly to the version of avision that I got from SVN--and the scanner
worked very well.

I still do not know what was causing my prior failures, but I know that
this patch made almost everything work.

The only problem that exists right now is that I do not have a "preview
image."  This is true in both <xscanimge> and <xsane>.  When I select
"acquire preview," the scanner scans, but there is only a grey, with
lightly colored lines, image in the preview window.  As a result, I must
scan multiple images, adjusting the parameters of gamma, brightness and
contrast, until I get a good image.

I have generated a log file with the debug level set at 10.  There's
lots and lots of output.  Is there anything for which I can "grep" or
should I lower the debug level and send the complete results?

Once again, both Rene and Falk, thank you.

Dan