[sane-devel] xsane preview problem

Dale Braden genghis17 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 7 03:02:49 UTC 2005

Oliver Schwartz wrote:

>There seems to be a problem with previews on the 2580 in the snapscan
>backend. I've no idea what the problem is, apparently it works for the 2480.
>AFAIK you can disconnect the transparency unit as a workaround.

Yes, you are right.  As long as the transparency unit is disconnected
before the scanner is plugged in, xsane's preview will work.  After you
mentioned the transparency unit, I found Till Kamppeter's posting on
this issue from October of last year and read the thread.  I can confirm
that the device address may change after the firmware is uploaded, but
even when the address does not change, preview still does not work, nor
does restarting xsane help.  I can also confirm that esfw41.bin is the
correct firmware.  This is what is installed under Windows.  I also see
the delays:

[snapscan] Scanner warming up - waiting 9 seconds.
[snapscan] Scanner warming up - waiting 33 seconds.

I had actually assumed that these were necessary-- that the scanner
really did need time to warm up.  But I should try to do a scan with the
old Windows machine and see if any similar messages are displayed.

Dale