[sane-devel] Getting Clever CAM 360 working

kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu
Mon Sep 12 03:48:16 UTC 2005

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, Martin wrote:

> The camera is identified as,
> idVendor 0x0797 Grandtech Semiconductor Corp.
> idProduct 0x8001 SmartCam

Hmmm. I will make some comments, about the output of lsusb -v,
below. The camera _may_ work with an existing driver, but it is not
obvious that it will...

Theodore

> What can I use to get the pictures downloaded from it to my computer?

Well, it is too early to tell the answer to that question, seems to me...

> Thanks.
>
> Here is the output of,
>
> lsusb -v
>
> ***********************************
>
> Bus 001 Device 009: ID 0797:8001 Grandtech Semiconductor Corp. SmartCam
> Device Descriptor:
> bLength 18
> bDescriptorType 1
> bcdUSB 1.10
> bDeviceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
> bDeviceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
> bDeviceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol

1. These three lines indicate that the camera is _not_ mass-storage, nor
is it PTP. Therefore, it needs to get support from libgphoto2.

2. No existing driver supports this camera, unless something has been
added to the libgphoto2 CVS tree since I last downloaded it, a couple of
weeks ago.

3. Going into libgphoto2/camlibs and doing

grep 797 */*

I got the following response:

polaroid/pdc640.c:      {"ScanHex SX-35a", 0x797, 0x8901, {
polaroid/pdc640.c:      {"ScanHex SX-35b", 0x797, 0x8909, {
polaroid/pdc640.c:      {"ScanHex SX-35c", 0x797, 0x8911, {
polaroid/pdc640.c:      {"Typhoon StyloCam", 0x797, 0x801a, {
polaroid/pdc640.c:      {"GrandTek ScopeCam", 0x797, 0x801c, {

which says that the indicated five cameras are supported by the "polaroid"
driver. And furthermore the various readme files in that directory do say
something about Grandtech chips. Looks like a possibility.

So I make two suggestions.

 	1. try adding an entry in camlibs/polaroid/pdc640.c which
resembles the others, but lists the number as it is for yours. That is,
the third entry should be 0x8001. Just in order to see if it works at
all, I would suspect that you can just copy the rest of the lines for
that entry, down to the next "}". Then re-compile and re-install the
subdirectory libgphoto2/camlibs/polaroid by doing make, followed by make
install. (You do have or will get a source tree for libgphoto2? Since your
camera is not yet supported, I am afraid that you will have to go to the
source code because it needs some hacking done on it).

If this causes the camera to do anything positive, then one is on the
right track. I would say that the next thing to do, though, is to contact
the maintainer for the package, Marcus Meissner <marcus at jet.franken.de>
who in that case will be the one responsible, from our project.

 	2. If step one does not give any positive result, then it is
necessary to look deeper into the matter. It may be in that case necessary
to install the camera on Windows and install a USB traffic logger, to see
what the camera is doing. It may be seen that there is a lot of similarity
with the existing stuff in camlibs/polaroid, or it may be something
entirely different. At that point, only a direct comparison between the
log output and what is in the source files in camlibs/polaroid will tell
the story.

Gerard,

Now that I check into the matter more deeply, qbik.ch says you have a
possibly similar camera and gives a lead to your website. I think I have
seen that particular page before, when trying to learn more about the
Grandtech 8290 chip (which uses a somewhat screwed version of mass-storage
Bulk Transport and for which I ended up doing the kernel support).

But, sorry, I did not remember your webpage when I saw the letter on the
sane-devel list (which I still receive, having subscribed back when we
were working on the Canon N670U I got for Christmas a few years ago). Now,
after wading in on this, I think I see a reason why Martin contacted you.
Any further comments?

Theodore Kilgore