[sane-devel] Getting Clever CAM 360 working

kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu
Thu Sep 15 03:04:01 UTC 2005

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Martin wrote:

> First off, I noticed that when I execute "gphoto2" it is running from 2.1.0
> version.
> After doing make and make install of version 2.1.6, where is the executable
> of gphoto2 installed that I can run from that version?

gphoto2 and libgphoto2 are two different things. The gphoto2 is the
command-line interface for the cameras. And libgphoto2 is the library
which lies behind everything, which tells how the given camera works. So
(for example, if a camera is actually supported and working) what happens
is that you give the command to get the photos

gphoto2 -P

and then gphoto2 checks whether or not a given camera is present, queries
the relevant library to know if the camera is supported, and the details
about how to support that camera.

For example, gphoto2 -P calls a standard command, found in every camera
support library, which is get_file_func(). That command is fleshed out in
the support library with the details of how to do that, using that
particular camera.

But in your case the problem is obviously somewhere before that point. Tou
have

> 2.194862 gphoto2-port(0): The supplied vendor or product id (0x0,0x0) is
not
> valid.

-- although previously in the logfile it _did_ mention something about
trying to support a Polaroid 640 something-or-other. So it looks as though
it found _something_.

> Maybe if I run with the 2.1.6 version, this will finally work.

I actually do not think this has much to do with the problem. Mu
suspicions (not necessarily in the order I list them) are:

1. You just installed a new libgphoto2 and supported a camera which was
previously not listed, so it is in particular not listed in the hotplug
config files -- and you were not running as root. Therefore, you were
refused the connection. Problem here is that root owns the USB ports, so
without specific instruction in the hotplug setup a mere user cannot
access them.

2. A syntax error in what you copied and pasted in the source code.

3. It is possible that your distro already installed an old version of
libgphoto2, and it was put into /usr/lib, and you did not uninstall it.
Then it is quite possible that the old version is being accessed and not
the new one, and you have a conflict. This can happen easier than you
think, because distros always put stuff in /usr/lib and in /usr/bin and
developers always put their stuff in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib and
when installing a development version then the old version from the
distro is still sitting there. Pain in the neck, frankly.

The fact that you mention gphoto2-2.1.0 which is now quite old does raise
my consciousness about possibility 3. Surely you did not just now install
it??

It would probably be a nice thing to have the same version of libgphoto2
and gphoto2, but it would probably not stop your camera from working if
you don't. Myself, right now I do not have the same version of both of
these installed on my computer (ever hear the saying that the cobbler's
children are the last to get shoes?) but my cameras assuredly do work.
OTOH, the mismatch is not so very big as it is with your setup, and I
don't have the support libraries lurking in /usr/lib at the same time
that I just installed new ones in /usr/local/lib.

Hope this helps.

Theodore Kilgore