[sane-devel] Getting Clever CAM 360 working - running gphoto2 version 2.1.6

kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu
Fri Sep 16 03:13:25 UTC 2005

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Martin wrote:

> Ok, I deleted all folders/files referencing libgphoto2* and gphoto2* from my
> system - which removed all old and newer versions of each.
>
> I re-did ./configure and make and make install, for libgphoto2-2.1.6 and then
> gphoto2-2.1.6.
>
> Now the only error message I'm getting is the following.
>
> ===================
> [root at oldpc root]# env LANG=C /usr/local/bin/gphoto2 --debug --camera
> "Polaroid PDC 640" --capture-image --port "usb:"
>
> /usr/local/bin/gphoto2: error while loading shared libraries:
> libgphoto2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> ===================
>
> I'm not sure why this is happening, so I did a find for it, and it can be
> found.
> ===================
> [root at oldpc root]# find / -iname 'libgphoto2.so.2'
>
> /usr/local/lib/libgphoto2.so.2
> ===================
>
> Just doing the real simple gphoto2 command, same thing:
>
> [root at oldpc root]# /usr/local/bin/gphoto2 --help
> /usr/local/bin/gphoto2: error while loading shared libraries:
> libgphoto2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>

> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for the help, much appreciated,
> -Martin

Don't know if you rebooted or not, but you might try running ldconfig, and
then

ldd /usr/local/bin/gphoto2

and see what you get. The ldd command is supposed to display all library
dependencies of an executable, and to tell if those libraries are found or
not. The ldconfig is supposed to re-link the latest versions of all
libraries, updating its list of what is latest if necessary,
and to provide symlinks from the right places, to things like

libgphoto2.so.2

and is supposed to get run automatically after a make install, and also on
reboot. Sorry to have to ask, but are you _really_ sure that all of the
old junk got removed? And you ran each of ./configure, make, make install
for libgphoto2 and then for gphoto2, in the order I listed them? And got
no error messages for either of the ./configure s nor for the make, nor
for the make install? If you followed the steps exactly, this kind of
stuff is not supposed to happen. Don't take it wrong. Don't think I am
acting superior. Sooner or later, every mortal has one of those
unlucky days when one is sure that one did everything exactly right and
something falls on the head anyway. But, seriously, this is not supposed
to happen. The 2.1.6 releases are not alpha or beta software. So, I would
say try again, read the installation instructions again, and check double
before each step.

It would be nice to get to the point to know whether or not I even guessed
right that the new camera can be supported in camlibs/polaroid or not. If
we get a positive answer to that, you may be 97% toward getting it
supported. If not, there is a bit more to do.

Marcus, would you like to get in on this? The new camera is an
0x797:0x8001 with a Grandtech chipset. So, the advice I gave, which is in
the process of being carried out, is to see if it gets anything positive
from the camera, to add it to the list in polaroid/pdc640.c.

Theodore Kilgore