[sane-devel] HP 4570c - progress report

Bertrik Sikken bertrik at zonnet.nl
Sun Sep 18 21:46:38 UTC 2005

Daniel Franke wrote:

>>[snip]
>>
>>The more I look at the usbsnoopy log, the more it looks similar
>>to the hp5400 backend. This is probably good news because the
>>hp5400 accepts a limited set of commands instead of dozens of
>>writes to various registers.
>

> Bertrik, Henning,
>
> I managed to reliably pass some bytes between my test program and
> the scanner.
>
> Already working:
>  * an answer to 0x1200 (version information of HP 5400 -- "SILITEKIElwood")
>  * re-read the last command (0xc500, same as HP 5400)

Cool. :D.

> An observation:
> Each command sequence has to be "terminated" by a null-byte, otherwise
> communication gets out of sync. A command sequence looks like ...
>   - set up and write a "usb_ctrl_setup"-structure (defined in <usb.h>)
>   - read the answer
>   - send another '\0' to the device
>
> Does this look familiar?

No, does not look familiar to me, sorry.

> Are there any other known HP5400 command bytes I could give a try?

Have a look at the #defines in backend/hp5400_internal.h from the
sane-backends package.

A very cool thing to start with, is to try to switch the scanner
lamp on or off. As far as I can tell from the hp5400 backend, this
can be done with command 0x1BXX.
By the way: some scanners are not protected from moving the carriage
beyond their physical limits. This may result in a loud (clicking)
noise and possibly damage the scanner. So always stay close to the
scanner to quickly yank the scanners' power cord in case that
happens.

All the best,
Bertrik