[sane-devel] Re: Epson Perfection 3490 -> included bugfix makes it work

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Sep 19 23:37:11 UTC 2005

Jim MacLeod <j75trym at blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> [snip]  I'm using Kubuntu Hoary on i386.
>
> I've cab-extracted esfw52.bin, put it /usr/bin and set firmware in
> snapscan.conf to point to it, which I understand is the only other
> requirement.

Hmm, I wouldn't put it in /usr/bin.  Somewhere below /usr/local/share
seems like a better place to me.

> I had a look at libsane-extras in Breezy and it includes epkowa in the
> description but I'm unsure whether this will run the 3490.

Not yet.  The epkowa backend will "support" this scanner as of iscan
1.17.0.  It requires a non-free closed source plugin which will only
be available for i386.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, LAN
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/