[sane-devel] Trouble with front end - Please advise me!

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sun Sep 25 11:33:09 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 12:56:50PM -0400, Kerry Menzel wrote:
> Anyway, I really appreciate the help. That did give me some insight. It
> looks like scanadf is trying to search for:
> /usr/local/lib/sane/cygsane-fujitsu-1.dll
>
> I do have the scanner libraries under /usr/local/lib/sane. But they are not
> named with cyg in front. I have libs like:
> libsane-fujitsu.a
> libsane-fujitsu.la
>
> Any idea why it is looking for cygsane-fujitsu-1.dll.

Because this is how the code has been programmed :-). It's not scanadf (or
any other frontend) that does this but the dll backend (backend/dll.c).

Look for this code:

#elif defined (HAVE_WINDOWS_H)
#   undef PREFIX
#   define PREFIX "cygsane-"
#   define POSTFIX "-%u.dll"

However, the libraries you mention above are only the static ones. For
dynamic loading you need the shared libraries (.so on Unix, probably
.dll on Windows). I guess you must dig a bit deeper to find out
what's wrong.

If dynamic loading doesn't work, you can also use static linkage only
(--disable-shared --enable-static).