[sane-devel] Curious about status of Lexmark X75 Linux Driver

Fred Odendaal freshshelf at rogers.com
Fri Sep 30 03:12:17 UTC 2005

Paul,

Not only does the Lexmark developer's kit use compiled libraries, but it
uses C++ code as well, which isn't accepted in Sane. You will also find
that the kit is only for older Linux kernels (2.4) and it doesn't
support all the scanner families - only X7170,  and X5250 are supported.

According to the unsupported devices web page the X75 uses the Realtek
8893B scanner chip. So, it may be able to use the hp_rts88xx external
backend, or support might be added to it. Alternatively the lexmark
external backend is for x1100 series scanners, which use the Realtek
8852B scanner chip. Depending on how close the 8893 is to the 8852,
support for the X75 might be add to this backend.

regards,
Fred Odendaal