[sane-devel] CanoScan LiDE20 jamming with scanimage

Fibonacci Prower fibonacci.prower at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 07:51:16 UTC 2006

Hello,
First of all, I have no experience whatsoever with Linux, so I
apologise in advance for any stupidity I might have made, or detail I
might have omitted. That being said, I can proceed:

I have just installed Fedora Core 5 (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp), and I'm
trying to use the CanoScan LiDE20 scanner which, according to
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html, is completely supported by
SANE. sane-find-scanner detects it, but it jams (with the lamps on)
whenever I try to scanimage, and nothing short of unplugging it from
the PC will stop it. I reboot to Windows XP (ahh, the magic of
dual-boot), and it scans perfectly well, not jamming at all (which
proves that the scanner is working fine).
I then reboot to Linux, sane-find-scanner finds it again, and
scanimage makes it jam again. Terminating scanimage gives only a
"Trying to stop scanner" message, but the scanner does not stop until
I unplug it. Trying to run scanimage again (with the scanner plugged
back in, of course) results in "scanimage: no SANE devices found",
even though sane-find-scanner still sees it.

What can I do about this problem?

Thank you for your time,

-Fibonacci