[sane-devel] pixels_per_line and bytes_per_line

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Tue Apr 25 20:31:19 UTC 2006

Hi,

On 2006-04-25 14:31, Wittawat Yamwong wrote:
> The SANE Standard Version 1.04 under 4.3.8 states that
>
> c >= B * n * d/8    for d > 1
>
> "Note that the number of bytes per line can be larger than the minimum
> value imposed by the right side of this equation.  A frontend must be
> able to properly cope with such "padded" image formats."

The frontend should be able, but in reality it isn't. At least I don't
know of any frontend who could do that. You can also test that
behaviour with the test backend by setting the option --ppl-loss to a
value > 0.

> doesn't need to throw the padding bytes away. But the output image from
> "scanimage" is corrupted. It seems to me that the frontend works properly if
> and only if c = B*n*d/8. What should I do in this case?

Fix scanimage and all the other frontends. Or easier, do the removal
of the padding in the backend.