[sane-devel] Genesys, Canon LiDE 35/40/50/60

Gerald Murray gmurray at cloudnet.com
Wed Apr 26 20:33:03 UTC 2006

Quoting Pierre Willenbrock <pierre at pirsoft.dnsalias.org>:

> Hi Gerald,
>
> Gerald Murray schrieb:
> > Tested:
> > LiDE 35: 150,300,600,1200 using usb-1.1.
--snip--
> That is probably a calibration problem. There is no easy way to fix
> that. What helped Henning was to clean the calibration area. The backend
> is currently not able to cope with (much) dirt there. You can get a
> distorted raw scan of the calibration area by enabling debugging. That
> should give you a file named "black_white_shading.pnm". When scanned at
> the higher resolutions(>=600dpi), it should have vertically striped
> area(s), but only very few dirt particles.

I have not figured out how to clean the calibration area.  There was no
instructions that came with the scanner.  Is there some guide to how
to take the parts apart?   There is one possible plastic hook pair on the
bottom, but it looks like a manuafacturer-only access point, requiring a
special tool.

> > Also a few slices across the image, possibly from a
> > jerk of the head at that point in the scan.  On the whole, an acceptable
> > image.
>
> Did this happen because the scanner moved the head back to restart at
> the buffer overflow position? If that is the case, i need to do some
> more tuning on the acceleration tables. That should definitely not
> happen(Though it is no reason not to put the code into sane-backends).

It happened at 10 cm of an 11cm postcard scan.  The scanner does quite
a bit of shuffling, and I thought it might be related to that forward/reverse
timing in the shuffle.

> > HP2400: no change, not working.
>
> Not working as in "refuses to move head/deliver useful data" or as in
> "provides a 2400x1200dpi image"? For the latter case i do have a patch,
> enabling a nearest match interpolation.

The head never moves.  It goes into a calibration at the beginning, and
never completes the calibration correctly, and then times out with a
question on the lamp:
[genesys] genesys_warmup_lamp: warmup timed out after 46 seconds. Lamp
defective?
scanimage: sane_start: Error during device I/O

> Thanks for testing,
>   Pierre

Thanks for your great work, Pierre.

Gerald