[sane-devel] Assistance please!

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Aug 2 08:37:34 UTC 2006

Hello,

On Aug 1 16:31 marcela castro wrote (shortened):
> scanner "Benq Saw 4300U" to work with this system Suse 10.1
> ... require the firmware upload. driver snapscan (package sane)
> ... Could you please let me know from where can I download this
> firmware upload and the driver snapscan?

When you use YaST (our default setup tool), it will install
the right software packages for your scanner (in this case
the package "sane" is sufficient because it includes the
snapscan driver).

When you select your model from the model list in YaST,
a "Firmware upload required" popup message appears which reads:
A firmware file contains software that must be uploaded to the
scanner's memory. Without firmware, the scanner cannot work.

Because firmware is licensed by the scanner manufacturer,
we cannot distribute it.
Usually the firmware file is stored somewhere on the
manufacturer's CD.
Alternatively, it may be possible to download it from the
manufacturer's Web site.
Ask the manufacturer how to get the firmware file for your
particular scanner.
Find additional useful information on the SANE Web site at
http://www.sane-project.org/.

After you get the firmware file, you must configure the driver
manually.
The man page of the driver describes how to configure it for
firmware upload.
The following command shows the man page for your driver:

  man sane-snapscan

The sane-snapscan man page reads:
For scanners that need a firmware upload before scanning
add a line starting with "firmware" followed by the fully
qualified path to your firmware file, e.g.

  firmware /usr/share/sane/snapscan/firmware.bin

For further details read http://snapscan.sourceforge.net.

On http://snapscan.sourceforge.net you find a table
with firmware file names.

Kind Regards