[sane-devel] Weirdness with Canon FS2720U

Tabor Kelly tkelly-sane-devel at taborandtashell.net
Thu Aug 3 04:05:45 UTC 2006

I now have a Trac site (with associated subversion repository) setup at
my University (https://projects.cecs.pdx.edu/~kellyt/SANE-FS2720U). I
have text files in the repository that is browsable here
(https://projects.cecs.pdx.edu/~kellyt/SANE-FS2720U/index.cgi/browser/sniffs)
that explain in English what is going on with the scanner. There are
things I find odd, like executing the RESERVE UNIT or RELEASE UNIT
command over and over again. When you change the film type it is
particularly amusing: it calls RESERVE UNIT 11 times (and that is all it
doesn, it doesn't send any command to acutally change the film type).

Is this at all normal? I assume it just borked commercial software.

What I would love for someone to take a look at is URB 289-300 in this
file
(https://projects.cecs.pdx.edu/~kellyt/SANE-FS2720U/index.cgi/browser/sniffs/just_preview_color_negative_bw.LOG).
  It looks like the windows driver writes 24kB of data to the scanner.
But look at the data, it isn't firmware, it is a pretty pattern. Any
idea? Was the developer who wrote this driver just having a little fun
at my expense?

I think next I am going to write some libusb code (my first) and try
cutting out some of these steps. The scanner has flash memory on the
mainboard, I don't understand why it would need its firmware upgraded
every time. Maybe Canon didn't build in a facility to actually upgrade
the firmware and they are writing over active memory every time you turn
it on?

Thanks,

Tabor

PS- My entire project is availabe for checkout from the subversions
repository at https://projects.cecs.pdx.edu/svn/SANE-FS2720U/.