[sane-devel] Help with Canon2700F

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Aug 16 07:58:21 UTC 2006

Hello,

On Aug 15 23:53 Ulrich Deiters wrote:
> I played a little bit with my configuration files. In my
> /usr/etc/sane.d/dll.conf there is a line "#canon" which I left as it
> is. In /usr/etc/sane.d/canon.conf I tried several combinations. The
> scanner is recognized as canon:/dev/sg0 if canon.conf contains the line
> "/dev/sg0" or "scsi". "dev/scanner" works only if I create a symlink
> sg0 --> scanner (understandably).
>
> The canon.conf of the contribution contains:
> #canon.conf
> /dev/scanner
> #/dev/sg0
>
> I suggest changing that to
>
> #canon.conf
> scsi

Very many thanks for the testing!

What I have as default canon.conf in our newest sane package
results the same but it is a bit more verbose and /dev/scanner
is no longer mentioned because it is outdated.
# canon.conf
#
# Activate exactly one of the following choices:
#
# Probe on all /dev/sg* devices:
scsi
#
# Probe for "CANON" on all /dev/sg* devices:
#scsi CANON
#
# Probe only on one fixed device:
#/dev/sg0

I suggest to have this one as default in the next SANE version
or perhaps "scsi CANON" to be a bit more safe but only if all
scanners which are supported by the canon backend use exactly
this manufacturer name (as I don't know this I used only "scsi").

Kind Regards,
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de