[sane-devel] scanimage -L does not load my backend

Jon Chambers jon at jon.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 16 20:35:39 UTC 2006

Hi Tabor,

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Tabor Kelly wrote:
> Excellent. I had actually done that in my build directory, I guess 'make
> install' will not overwrite existing .conf files (for good reason).

Out of interest: when you mention your build directory, do you mean the
directory structure created when you unzip the package (or cvs checkout)
or do you mean an alternative build directory such as one created by
kdevelop?

If the latter, then I have also found that the conf files do not get
installed.  The reason is that in backend/Makefile(.in) the source
directory for the <backend>.conf is specified:

install-becfg:
 	@list="$(CONFIGS)"; for cfg in $$list; do \
 	  if test ! -r $(srcdir)/$${cfg}; then continue; fi; \
 	  if test -f $(DESTDIR)$(configdir)/$${cfg}; then \
 	    echo NOT overwriting $${cfg} in $(configdir)...; \
 	  else \
 	    echo installing $${cfg} in $(configdir)/$${cfg}...; \
 	    $(INSTALL_DATA) $(srcdir)/$${cfg}
$(DESTDIR)$(configdir)/$${cfg} \
               || exit 1; \
 	  fi; \
 	done
If your working directory is elsewhere then your <backend>.conf files will
have been generated in the current directory, not in $(srcdir).

This can be rectified by replacing  $(srcdir)/$${cfg} with $${cfg} in the
above rule.

Unless someone can see a downside to doing this then I will make this
modification and check it in?

cheers,
Jon