[sane-devel] About HP scanners

Dean Loros autocrosser at macdialup.com
Fri Aug 18 00:15:00 UTC 2006

I recently sent a E-mail to HP's president Mark Hurd talking about the
poor state of Linux support with HP products. I did not expect an answer
to my mail & was very surprised to get several e-mails & 3 phone calls
in return. It seems that HP is getting sensitive in regards to Linux
support & is willing to talk--The last conversation with a Senior member
of tech support (& knowledgeable about Linux Distros)

"Robert G. McCoy
Quality Case Manager
HP Total Care

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

I have been assigned your case in regard to the ScanJet 4370.

Per our discussion today, I will be broaching the subject of possible
Linux drivers for HP scanners, in particular Ubuntu.

As I indicated, I won't guarantee support but will definitely visit with
the engineers on this.

If you have any other questions, concerns or just wish to relay more
information or requests in regard to this issue, don't hesitate to
contact me."

I would encourage everyone that is having trouble with a HP scanner to
open a dialog with HP--it does seem that the time is ripe to make some
changes!!!