[sane-devel] Acard AEC6712S (atp870u.ko) and HP 6100C C2520A (sg.ko) problems

Justin Findlay justin at jfindlay.us
Sat Aug 19 05:46:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 11:54:59AM +0200, abel deuring wrote:
> If possible, try different cables and another SCSI adapter, or
> connect another SCSI device to the Acard adapter to get a better
> idea, where the error might come from.

I took the scanner, SCSI-2 cable, and acard SCSI host adapter and
plugged them into my roomate's windows computer, installed the
appropriate drivers, rebooted a few times, suffered through windows'
occult complaints but eventually got the device functioning.

Next I tried it on his FC4 system (same hardware, different OS) which,
upon loading the appropriate kernel modules segfaulted the kernel and
froze the machine.

Sometimes I am able to get the kernel modules loaded on my machine
before the atp870u driver complains.  At this point sane-find-scanner
detects the scanner

found SCSI processor "HP C2520A 3644" at /dev/sg1

but `scanimage -L` does nothing.  Perhaps it precipitates an error of
some kind because after cancelling the command sane-find-scanner again
detects nothing and subsequent driver reloadings print out the same set
of SCSI errors.

I know at lease someone somewhere has gotten this scanner working before
because http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html says that support for
'ScanJet 6100C' is 'Complete'.

What can I try next?  I'm willing to start hacking hardware/drivers if
necessary but I have absolutely no idea where to begin, nor even where
to ask.

Justin