[sane-devel] Firmware for Epson 3490 Perfection does not upload to scanner

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Aug 21 02:11:51 UTC 2006

jurgen.defurne at pandora.be (Jurgen Defurne) writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am busy trying to get a brand new Epson Perfection 3490 PHOTO at
> work under SANE.
>
> I am running on Debian unstable, scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.18;
> backend version 1.0.18.
>
> One of the problems with this scanner are the many contradictory
> messages, which sometimes say that it is possible to make it work,
> sometimes it seems other people have the same problem, but it never
> seems clear what the real solution to the problem is. One extra
> problem is that the proprietary parts of the system are only
> distributed as rpms.

Try `alien -c` on the RPMs and let me know how that works ;-)

> Currently, I have my system configured for the epkowa driver.
>
> After testing the system also under Windows XP, I have come to the
> conclusion that the problem sits somewhere in the uploading of the
> firmware file /usr/share/sane/epkowa/esfw52.bin. The epkowa.conf
> file is configured to find this one, and it is available, but when
> running

Eh, that epkowa.conf file doesn't understand firmware file locations.
The backend's interpreter "knows" where to look for the firmware file.
Rip out that firmware file line and try again.

On the other hand, if you try the snapscan backend you will need that
firmware line, but it should be in snapscan.conf, NOT in epkowa.conf.

--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/