[sane-devel] [RFC] Improving sane-find-scanner

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Sun Aug 27 20:26:04 UTC 2006

"m. allan noah" <anoah at pfeiffer.edu> wrote:

Hi,

> my only concern there would be if the user sees the name of an
> external backend, and assumes it is already installed. also- what

I clearly distinguished external backends for this purpose :)

> about the case where a backend is installed, but disabled in dll.conf?

It's part of the configuration the user will need to do; she'll have
to edit the backend config file in some cases too.

> are the desc files currently installed anywhere? does it make more

No, I don't think so.

> sense to roll them up into structs in a .so that we could load? that
> reduces the runtime processing, while allowing external backends to
> provide additional, smaller files...

I'm not sure it makes sense, because parsing the desc files is quite
fast.

> though honestly, i am not all that sure of the benefit. i mean, if you
> run sane-find-scanner and see it, but scanimage -L does not, then the
> backend support is missing anyway?

It's one more hint for the user -- if scanimage doesn't find the
scanner, having the backend name is a good starting point to find out
what's wrong (usually, the backend isn't enabled).

sane-find-scanner is usually the first tool that is run when plugging
in a new scanner; just thought it could help to have a somewhat more
knowledgeable sane-find-scanner.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>