[sane-devel] Scanner (USB) not found after kernel upgrade

Couriousous couriousous at mandriva.org
Tue Feb 7 22:43:56 UTC 2006

Le Mardi 07 Février 2006 21:32, Till Kamppeter a écrit :
> Bill Brelsford wrote:
> >>
> >>This looks like the relevant part:
> >>
> >> [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_find_devices: vendor=0x04b8, product=0x080d
> >> [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_open: trying to open device `libusb:002:003'
> >> USB error: could not set config 1: Device or resource busy
> >> [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_open: libusb complained: could not set config 1:
> >> Device or resource busy [sanei_usb] Maybe the kernel scanner driver
> >> claims the scanner's interface?
> >>
> >>Since the only change was a new kernel, here are the "USB" changes
> >>
> >>to the kernel configuration:

> > Somehow I missed this difference in syslog between the old kernel
> > (works):
> >
> >  Feb  6 20:11:36 k2di kernel: usb 2-2: usbfs: interface 2 claimed
> >  	while 'scanimage' sets config #1
> >
> > and the new one (doesn't work):
> >
> >  Feb  7 06:47:47 k2di kernel: usb 2-2: usbfs: interface 1 claimed
> >  	by usblp while 'scanimage' sets config #1
> >
> > My old kernel was built before I bought the CX4600 and added usb
> > printer support, but I'm sure I later built one (since deleted)
> > that worked with both printer and scanner.  It apparently had
> > USB_PRINTER as a module, so I just rebuilt the new one that way,
> > got the same result (failure), did "rmmod usblp" and got "claimed
> > by usb-storage", did "rmmod usb-storage" and it works.

Can you provides the ouput of the following command as root:

lsusb -v

>I CC him, so that he can perhaps help on this issue.
Keep me on CC please, as I'm not subscribed to the list

> Another problem is the memory card reader in the Epson photo printers
> and MF devices, AFAIK there is no libusb-based driver for USB mass
> storage devices, and no solution to provide mountable file systems
> completely in user space.
>
> Epson has also their own CUPS backend in the PIPS and/or IScan packages,
> but probably it is not free software. Olaf, or is this backend free
> software?
>
> As older kernels worked fine, I suggest to file a bug against the kernel.

Kernel dev will resolve it as INVALID. This is quite logical that the kernel
should not allow _two_ driver for the same device's interface. In fact, it
refuse that someone change device's configuration while an another driver use
it.

You should use a more recent sane, this bug is AFAIK fixed in sane
sane-backends-1.0.17 since the open function test if the kernel answer is
busy and ignore it:

else if (errno == EBUSY)
            {
              DBG (3, "Maybe the kernel scanner driver or usblp claims the "
                   "interface? Ignoring this error...\n");
              status = SANE_STATUS_GOOD;
            }

So, can you check if it works with lastest sane ?

Regards,
Couriousous