[sane-devel] dell1600n-net backend

Jon Chambers jon at jon.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 8 19:40:22 UTC 2006

Hi Alessandro,

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, Alessandro Zummo wrote:
> I agree. I only know of unix sockets, so probably the first version won't work
> straight on windows...

I don't see any "#ifdef WIN32" in the SANE code so I don't think that is a
target platform.  Nonetheless there are MaC OS and OS2 #ifdefs.  Looking
at backend/net.c I see stuff like:

#include <netinet/in.h>
#include <netdb.h> /* OS/2 needs this _after_ <netinet/in.h>, grrr... */

Nothing too horrific but worth copying to avoid known pitfalls.

The Dell 1600n network protocol seems quite different to the one you
describe, but we both have a requirement for socket communication which
works on all SANE platforms.  I'll keep you posted on my progress.

cheers.
Jon

ps: FYI the Dell protocol goes like:

Discovery:
1. Computer sends a UDP broadcast to discover nearby scanners.
2. Scanner replies via UDP.

Scanning:
1. Computer sends UDP message to scanner to register (computer name
    appears in the scanner menu).
2. User presses "scan" and selects computer from scanner menu.
3. Scanner sends UDP message to computer requesting TCP connection.
4. Computer inits TCP connection and sends preferred scan parameters.
5. User (having optionally selected different scan parameters etc) selects
    "start scanning" and one or more pages are sent to the computer
    via TCP.