[sane-devel] Looking for a small business card sized scanner

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard at gjaeger.de
Mon Jan 23 07:42:52 UTC 2006

On Sunday 22 January 2006 17:34, Jim McQuillan wrote:
> Henning,
>
> I've attached the output of 'sane-find-scanner' and 'sane-find-scanner
> -v -v', both run as root.
>
> If you have any ideas of how to make this work with sane, i'd really
> appreciate it.
>
> Alternatively, if you know of any card-sized scanners that are well
> supported by sane, that would also be very useful for me.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jim McQuillan
> jam at Ltsp.org
>

> Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 2006-01-19 16:40, Jim McQuillan wrote:
> >
> >> I picked up a ScanShell 800N, but sadly, it doesn't appear to be
> >> supported by SANE.
> >>

> > Google finds only 160 hits for "ScanShell 800N". Either it's really
> > new or it's rather uncommon.
> >

> >>  3) Writing a new driver for the 800N
> >>

> > Only the standard one: look at www.sane-project.org, section
> > "Contributing".
> >

> >>  found USB scanner (vendor=0x0a82, product=0x6605, chip=LM983x?) at
> >> libusb:004:006
> >>

> > 0x0a82 seems to be used by Syscan.
> > Run it as root to check if it's really a LM983x chip.

IFAIK there are two similar scaner out in the wild: Visoneer XP100 and
SYSCAN Travelscan 464. Probably the later one is the same as the ScanShell
800N... - Theses three devices seem to be the only LM983x based sheet-fed
devices, but I never got one on my desk, as theese devices turned to be
too expensinve for volunteer work and the guys that liked to make them work
were not able to lend me such devices...

The latests request and discussion I remember was in february 2003, so the
devices are rather old...

Ciao,
Gerhard