[sane-devel] new epson backend

Mattias Ellert mattias.ellert at tsl.uu.se
Wed Jan 25 06:57:30 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 15:17 +0100, Alessandro Zummo wrote:
>  Hello,
>
>   a little status report on the backend I'm writing. I've modified
>  the epson backend to support the AcuLaser CX11NF via network connection.
>
>   Sane now recognizes the scanner and talks to it,
>  but there are still issues I need to solve. I revamped
>  the backend a bit and since I'm sure I introduced new bugs
>  and/or breaked compatibility, I would like to release it
>  under a new name. Suggestions are appreciated.

Hi!

Creating a second backend that uses the same code base will create a
maintenance nightmare. Every change/bugfix that in the future will ever
be done to one of them must be ported to and tested with the other one,
which will create an extra workload for the maintainers of both
backends.

The work needed to merge the new functionality into the existing
backend, though it might look to be much initially, will most likely be
less than the sum of the extra work needed for the future maintenance
for keeping the two backends consistent in the future.

	Mattias